Are Floss Picks As Good As Regular Dental Floss?
Are floss picks as good as regular floss? While it’s better to use a floss pick than to not floss at all, it’s important to note that floss picks can only clean a part of the tooth’s surface. At Weston Spencer DDS in La Jolla, we recommend traditional floss or tape. Here’s why:
A floss pick holds just a small piece of floss stretched in a straight line. But teeth are rounded, with occasional irregularities. A straight segment of floss just won’t conform to the contours of the tooth as well as traditional string floss.
By wrapping string floss completely around a tooth, you can clean off plaque far more effectively. We have seen patients who are dutiful floss pick users who developed decay due to a small crack the floss pick missed day after day.
Flossing, The Right Way
Here is a guide to proper flossing:
- Cut a segment of floss about 18 inches long and securely wind each end around your middle fingers.
- Take hold of the floss with your forefinger and thumb. Thread it between two teeth.
- Hold the floss tightly against the side of the tooth and move it up and away from the gumline. clean the space between the tooth and gum without pulling more gum tissue away.
- Move the floss around to clean every surface—especially those that your brush can’t reach.
- Some people find it simpler to start on one end of the upper teeth and clean each gap one by one until they reach the end on the opposite side, and then repeat for the lower arch.
If you don’t usually floss, your gums might bleed the first few times. The bleeding may be due to gum inflammation, the beginnings of gum disease. Keep flossing gently and the bleeding should stop within a week or two.
At Weston Spencer DDS in La Jolla we want all our patients to enjoy excellent dental health. That means daily flossing and brushing, and a checkup in our office every six months. Patients from all over Solano Beach, Del Mar, and Claremont come to us for our general and cosmetic dentistry, and so much more. Schedule your next appointment today!
Contact Weston Spencer DDS – Conservative Comprehensive Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):