How are Americans doing when it comes to the dental health of those who are sixty-five and over? Well, at Weston Spencer DDS in La Jolla CA, we have some good news and bad news.
The Good News:
- Tooth decay rates in older Americans has decreased in the past thirty years.
The Bad News:
- 25% of people over sixty-five have no remaining teeth
- Nearly 20% have untreated cavities
- 10% of adults 65 and over have moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- There is evidence to suggest that advanced gum disease is linked to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and respiratory disease
- Most older Americans don’t have dental insurance
Clearly, there is room for improvement. What elements will improve the oral health of older Americans? The National Institutes of Health cite three things:
- Improved oral health education for the elderly
- Seniors practicing effective daily oral hygiene
- Increased access to dental care
At Weston Spencer DDS in La Jolla CA, we are committed to providing all of our patients with comprehensive oral health education and care. People from Solano Beach, Del Mar, and Claremont come to us for our full range of general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!
Contact Weston Spencer DDS – Conservative Comprehensive Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
7855 Fay Avenue Suite 110
La Jolla, California