Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. It is also treatable, at Weston Spencer DDS in La Jolla.
Gum disease is so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association.
If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease generates no noticeable symptoms.
- Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Gum disease may be one of the best examples of prevention being the best medicine. With regular brushing and flossing, and checkups at Weston Spencer DDS in La Jolla, you can prevent gum disease. People from Solano Beach, Del Mar, and Claremont come to our practice for general dentistry. Call to schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact Weston Spencer DDS – Conservative Comprehensive Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
7855 Fay Avenue Suite 110
La Jolla, California